The Wewelsburg „Dorfgemeinschaftshaus“ – The SS built Village Community Centre

Wewelsburg-1.1

The Wewelsburg „Dorfgemeinschaftshaus“ – The SS built Village Community Centre

In 1935 the SS acquired the “Ottens Hof” from farmer Thiele Hofstelle , an abandoned semi-ruined farm building , rebuilt it and gave it to the village of Wewelsburg in return for the SS taking over the banqueting hall in the castle Wewelsburg which had until then been used by the villagers as the village community centre.

SS-Hauptsturmführer Walter Franzius in the Staff of the SS-Reichsführer Himmler was tasked with bringing the people of Wewelsburg around to to the “Nazi world view” by Castle Captain von Knobelsdorff at the end of 1934.  Part of this task involved the re-build of the Ottens Hof and with help from the local RAD, local artisans & crafts people, the  NS-Gemeinschaft Kraft durch Freude and members of the castle’s SS-„Burgmannschaft“,  work was started to rebuild the Ottens Hof in the SS and NS style for the people.